[pptp-server] Maximum number of users

Igor Maciel Macaubas igor.maciel at mailbr.com.br
Fri Apr 12 20:27:35 CDT 2002

Hi all,
I need your help.
I have a server with the following configuration:

Dual Pentium III 500Mhz, 512MB of RAM, 9GB of SCSI Hard-drive.
RedHat 6.2 / 2.2.20 / ppp 2.4.1 / pptpd 1.0.1

And I'm in serious troubles about the maximum number of connections.
I need to make this server accepts more than 100 connections (from ppp0 to
ppp99).
I tought that just changing the MAXUSERCONNECTIONS (something like that)
into defaults.h (pptpd source code) and recompiling it would solve my
problem.
But right now I have 100 users connected into my server, and it's impossible
to connect.
I get lot's of this error into /var/log/messages:
Apr 13 00:29:35 vpn02 kernel: ppp_alloc failed
Apr 13 00:29:36 vpn02 kernel: ppp: dev_alloc_name failed (-23)
Apr 13 00:29:36 vpn02 kernel: ppp_alloc failed
I saw into the linux kernel that ppp_alloc is a function of the kernel
(drivers/net/ppp.c). So I suppose that I need to change the kernel source
code to increase the number of connections. Please help me to increase this
limit. I need this hurry.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Igor