[pptp-server] Error 619 (win2000), Error 629 (winNT) using PoPToP 1.0.1 on OpenBSD 3.0

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Mon Apr 22 21:51:50 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, James Nedila wrote:

> poptop 1.0.1 on openbsd 3.0 pf is installed, but is wide open, as I can
> see all incoming packets using tcpdump.
>
> Apr 22 13:39:39 winston pptpd[28694]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,4)

Rebuild your kernel without GRE support?  Otherwise the kernel snarfs
those packets from pptpd.

It would be nice to have support for the integrated in-kernel GRE, just in
case you wanted to do something else with GRE on that box, but for now,
just recompile with it.

> So the problem is with ppp here.
> I'm not trying to use anything fancy, just straight CHAP.

If I'm right, it only _looks_ like the problem is with PPP.  CHAP auth
works.  MSCHAPv2 will also work.  And data payload encryption works if you
set the right magic in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf (for me, "set mppe 128
stateless").

> /etc/pptpd.conf:
> localip 10.0.2.1
> remoteip 10.0.2.150-200

There's no need to specify this here, since settings in ppp.conf control
the addressing.

> /etc/ppp/options:

This is a file for the kernel PPP (i.e. 'pppd') stuff.  It won't do
anything for the userland PPP you're using.  It won't hurt, either.

> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:
>  set device localhost:pptp

I know this is in the sample configuration, but as far as I can tell it
doesn't actually do anything (except confuse) since it's overridden by the
'set device !/etc/ppp/secure' later on.  Besides, there's no "pptp" in
/etc/services anyway...  ;)

Hope this helps.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba