[pptp-server] Trying to get started

David Ables ables at pressureprofile.com
Mon Apr 29 17:58:13 CDT 2002

Hi All,

This appears to have been asked & answered, but in digging through the
archives I still couldn't find what I'm doing wrong. I've RTFM, but
they all seem to be a bit different. :)

I can successfully establish the VPN connection from my Win98 & Win2k
clients to my Linux box running pptpd, but that's all I can do. I
can't ping anything from the client, including the server, while the
server and various other Windows boxes on our intranet can all ping
the client's internal address.

Here are my particulars:

Server running on Debian Linux Firewall (Testing/Woody with 2.2.20
kernel)
Samba running on same machine as pptp server
Internal network: 192.168.57.0

pptpd.conf
    speed 115200
    option /etc/ppp/pptpd-options
    debug
    localip 192.168.57.200-209
    remoteip 192.168.57.210-219

pptpd-options
    debug
    name servername
    domain DOMAIN
    auth
    require-chap
    ms-dns 192.168.57.1
    ms-wins 192.168.57.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    nodefaultroute
    proxyarp
    lock

When I ping the server from the client, I get
    Reply from 192.168.57.1: Destination port unreachable.

When I ping an internal machine (e.g. 192.168.57.109) from the client,
I get
    Reply from 192.168.57.200: Destination port unreachable.

Looking at syslog after establishing the VPN connection, it does
mention that it assigns the remote ip and internal ip correctly
(verified using winipcfg.exe on the client machine), and it also notes
the ms-wins and ms-dns settings as making it.

Is it just something simple like not having my firewall settings done?
I'm masquerading for the internal machines, and I'm allowing all port
1723 and protocol 47 traffic to the server/firewall.

Thanks in advance. I finally convinced everyone that having a Linux
machine playing firewall and Samba server would be a major upgrade for
our new office, and if we can just get VPN working we"ll be in great
shape!

-david

---
David C. Ables