[pptp-server] Ppp modules not automatically loading after upgrade

Andrew Lyon Administrator at josims.com
Thu Aug 22 04:50:43 CDT 2002

Hi,

I just performed some RPM upgrades on our Redhat 7.3 server, I upgraded the
kernel rpms to 2.4.18-10, I applied the patch for ppp_mppe to the kernel
source and compiled both the kernel and modules successfully.

I also upgraded from ppp-mppe-2.4.1-5 to ppp-mppe-2.4.1-7.

Before this upgrade, the server would boot up and start up services,
including pptpd which would all work perfectly.

After this upgrade, I get errors when clients attempt to connect to pptpd:

Aug 22 10:42:09 LinuxServer pptpd[1966]: CTRL: Starting call (launching
pppd, opening GRE)
Aug 22 10:42:09 LinuxServer pptpd[1966]: GRE:
read(fd=5,buffer=804d9c0,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error =
Input/output error
Aug 22 10:42:09 LinuxServer pptpd[1966]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed
(pty,gre)=(5,6)
Aug 22 10:42:09 LinuxServer pptpd[1966]: CTRL: Client x.x.x.x control
connection finished
Aug 22 10:42:17 LinuxServer pptpd[1969]: CTRL: Client x.x.x.x control
connection started
Aug 22 10:42:19 LinuxServer pptpd[1969]: CTRL: Starting call (launching
pppd, opening GRE)
Aug 22 10:42:19 LinuxServer pptpd[1969]: GRE:
read(fd=5,buffer=804d9c0,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error =
Input/output error
Aug 22 10:42:19 LinuxServer pptpd[1969]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed
(pty,gre)=(5,6)
Aug 22 10:42:19 LinuxServer pptpd[1969]: CTRL: Client x.x.x.x control
connection finished

I realised that ppp is not loading the ppp module (ppp_generic)
automatically, I checked my modules.conf which appears to be correct:

alias ppp ppp_generic
alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias net-pf-47 ip_gre
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty

If I modprobe -v ppp, the ppp_generic module loads, and clients can connect
without any problems.

andy

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for
the  addressee only. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent. If you are not the intended recipient
of the message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the
message. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. No
commitment may be inferred from the contents unless  explicitly stated.  The
company does not take any responsibility for the personal views of the
author. This message has been scanned for viruses before sending, but the
company does not accept any responsibility for infection and recommends that
you scan any attachments.