[pptp-server] Able to connect but nothing after that

ope ope ope557 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 02:14:31 CST 2002

I have just set up PPTP on a RedHat 7.0 server.
Everything was going very well up until I was able to
actually connect to the VPN.  Basically I can log in
to the VPN, no problem, but I can't see any or reach
any machines on the network after that.

If I log into the VPN I get a Server IP address and a
Client IP address, as I should.  However, I can't ping
the Server side ip address or any other machine within
the network.  If I try to ping I get a 'Destination
port unreachable'.  Basically I can't see any
computers inside the network or do anything other than
connect.

I have set up ipchains to ACCEPT traffic on port 1723
and protocol 47 using:

	ipchains -A input -p TCP -d 0.0.0.0/0 1723 -j ACCEPT
	ipchains -A input -p 47 -j ACCEPT

	ipchains -A output -p TCP -s 0.0.0.0/0 1723 -j ACCEPT
	ipchains -A output -p 47 -j ACCEPT

I have also set up forwarding to the VPN connect
machines using:
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d
192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT

I also made sure that these rules were set up early in
the scripts so that other ipchains rules would not
cancel these out. I would think that this is
sufficient but apparently not.  I have obviously
misconfigured something but can't figure out what.