[pptp-server] Connect from lan, not from dial-up

Jurrie Overgoor jurr at tref.nl
Wed Feb 20 15:12:34 CST 2002

Hello there,

I've got a very strange problem, and I haven't seen this anywhere in the mailing list yet.
I've set up poptop with RedHat 7.1. The vpn client is a Win98 system.

VPN Client --> INTERNET --> VPN PoPToP Server (also firewall) --> NT server

I'd like the client to connect to the NT server, so I've set up WINS at the NT server, and modified my config file (added ms-wins 192.168.10.1). All is well here...

I did a test, I took a pc from the internal lan, and did not logon to the nt server. I set up a vpn dial-in connection, and dialed to the internet ip of the vpn server (the firewall). After some time, I get a login box (from the NT server), I log in and I get my shares etc. (the bootup bat file runs). So that is great!

Now for the strange part:
I took the SAME client, plugged in a modem, dialed in on my internet account (using my modem, not the internet connection from the lan that the client normally has...). Internet works, I can surf etc.
Now I tiedy the vpn connection again (I installed a second 'external adapter (# VPN support)'). The tunnel is set up, I get the login box, I type my login name and password, and I get an error: "Login name / password is not correct, or the server refused the connection"...

HUH?!?

Everything is the same, I only used a modem to connect to the internet instead of the lan gateway...

What could be wrong?

           Greetz -- Jurrie
           jurr at tref.nl