[pptp-server] Issues with OpenBSD 3

Robert Schwartz robert at mrsquirrel.com
Thu Feb 21 13:06:17 CST 2002

Hello list, I have an issue that I'm deeply interested in solving.  I
implemented a new development firewall for to move into production, and
there's just one piece that's causing me headaches.  I'm running OpenBSD
3.0 on a firewall with 3 interfaces.  The last issue is PoPToP.

I've compiled the latest source with --bsdppp and with -ipalloc.  I've
set up the server as per the documentation I've found scattered about
the net.  I've rebuilt the kernel without GRE (and I removed some
non-firewall junk like X and such from the kernel).  I've added the
following 1 lines to my startup scripts:

/etc/inetd.conf
ppploop         stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ppp ppp
-direct loop-in

/etc/services
#   ppploop 6671/tcp # loopback ppp daemon

I can connect with a client computer, exchange authentication, receive
the IP addressing information, and get registered on the remote network.

Sniffing the interface with the client shows a ton of encapsulated GRE
traffic.

When I ping (telnet, etc) from the PPTP client, nothing happens.  I see
arp-requests on the internal interface when I run tcpdump, and I see the
traffic when I run tcpdump on tun0.  I do not see arp-replies on the
internal network or on the tunnel though.  At this point I believe that
proxy arp in ppp isn't working right.  Any ideas as to why I would be
able to log in, pass an arp-whohas request to the local interface, but
not be able to get traffic back?

I've spent a few days tweaking all the files and settings and I'm no
farther then I was the first night after my successful authentication.

I haven't implemented encrypted passwords yet (one must walk before one
flies), and I am using the allow all rule in PF for these tests.

Here is my conf:

/etc/pptpd.conf

option /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
debug
localip 10.x.y.1
remoteip 10.x.y.222-223
pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
speed 115200
option /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

loop:
 set timeout 0
 set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp command
 set device localhost:pptp
 set dial
 set login
 # Server (local) IP address, Range for Clients, and Netmask
 set ifaddr 10.x.y.1 10.x.y.222-10.x.y.223 255.255.255.255
 enable proxy
 set server /tmp/loop "" 0177
loop-in:
 set timeout 0