[pptp-server] Could not determine local IP address failure

George Pearson george at amsimanagement.com
Fri Feb 22 04:56:57 CST 2002

Problem:  Connecting with pptp-1.0.1 on my laptop with RedHat7.2 from
WindowsXP client.  Does not connect to a newly loaded RedHat7.2 with
"Identical" setup:  it connectes then immediately disconnects.  Log
reads "Could not determine local ip address".
I have looked in the archives and found similar messages regarding
failing connections, but have not found a similar "misconfig" in the
options file (maybe I'm not looking in the right place.)
Begin with network setup:
I have a test bed with 192.168.254.x linked to 192.168.253.x network.  I
set up the servers (Laptop/New box) on the 192.168.253.100 and the
clients on the 192.168.254.x side.  The Laptop and New box share the
same ip and I move a patch cable inbetween the two.
Again the Laptop works fine and has an identical
pptpd.conf/chap-secrets/options.pptp files.  I have included the
pptpd-failed.log from the New box and the pptpd-success.log from the
Laptop.  I also sent a copy of the pptpd.conf/chap-secrets/options.pptp
files.
Kernel Config:  I have the latest 2.4.17 kernel on both machines and
patched it with the 2.4.16-openssl-0.9.6b-mppe.patch:  It generates the
ppp-mppe.o files when ppp configured for modules.
Any enlightment on this error would be greatly appreciated.