[pptp-server] URGENT tip request - problem browsing the net from a dialup Win2k client, and latest Kernel/patches.

steevieg at hushmail.com steevieg at hushmail.com
Mon Feb 25 06:01:35 CST 2002

Hi all,

i've setted up pptpd v.1.0.1 on a debian server that must provide vpn connection from dialup-home-pc.
After an endless nightmare, i can finaly connect with encryption, i ping all pc, i can browse them running a \\internal_ip, etc,  but my boss wants to browse the local network from the "network places" too as it was a normal internal connection.

Beyond the dns, i've setted the wins server too in the options of the tcp/vpn connection of the client, and I can see both of them in the ipconfig /all.
I've also set the ms-dns and ms-wins in /etc/ppp/pptpd-options but nothing changes.

1) What do i have to to do to browse the net from there as it was a normal internal connection?

The situation is:
Kernel 2.2.19
ppp-2.3.8
ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz patch applied
SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
PoPToP v1.0.1
ipchains 1.3.9

ps: no firwall rules are applied at the moment.

2) I had troubles with kernel 2.4.17, anyone knows which is the latest kernel/patches that are usable to make a stable vpn server?

3) I'm testing the home client from an external isdn connection; it's terribly luggysh, my boss told me that from an analogic 33.6 connection it was faster.
Is there any trick/option to set/unset to make it faster?

Hush provide the worlds most secure, easy to use online applications - which solution is right for you?
HushMail Secure Email http://www.hushmail.com/
HushDrive Secure Online Storage http://www.hushmail.com/hushdrive/
Hush Business - security for your Business http://www.hush.com/
Hush Enterprise - Secure Solutions for your Enterprise http://www.hush.com/