[pptp-server] URGENT tip request - problem browsing the net f rom a dialup Win2k client, and latest Kernel/patches.

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Mon Feb 25 10:46:38 CST 2002

Is there a WINS server actually running at the IP address you set in your
options file???

> 1) What do i have to to do to browse the net from there as it
> was a normal internal connection?

If you have a functional WINS server on your LAN...

1) Are all MS clients on your LAN (not just your pptp clients) configured to
register with that WINS server?

2) Are the PPTP clients configured to register with same workgroup/domain
names as those on the LAN?

> The situation is:
> Kernel 2.2.19
> ppp-2.3.8
> ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz patch applied
> SSLeay-0.6.6b.tar.gz
> PoPToP v1.0.1
> ipchains 1.3.9
>
> ps: no firwall rules are applied at the moment.
>

> 2) I had troubles with kernel 2.4.17, anyone knows which is
> the latest kernel/patches that are usable to make a stable vpn server?
>

> 3) I'm testing the home client from an external isdn
> connection; it's terribly luggysh, my boss told me that from
> an analogic 33.6 connection it was faster.
> Is there any trick/option to set/unset to make it faster?

You might try to decrease the MTU of your PPTP connection by specifying the
following in your options file.

mtu 1492
mru 1492

or maybe even 1460. tcpdump should show if gre/ppp packets are being
fragmented.

Steve Cowles