[pptp-server] strange problem...

Timothy Findlay Timothy.Findlay at austrimtextiles.com.au
Thu Jan 3 16:46:37 CST 2002

Hi,

I know this proberly isn't the right place for this question, but not quite
sure where to go with it.

I've installed PPTPD on a hacked up RH 7.1 box and the clients connect to it
fine (works like a charm!). However with 2-3 laptops(running Win98 SE),
after installing the Microsoft VPN Adapter (which works cool) regular
internet connections bugger up. When we dial Joe Bloggs service provider
(which used to work fine) it connects, authenticates, looks fine, but when
we fire up a web browser it only transfers a tiny bit of information and
then stops.

It's almost like it disables the connection, no pings or traceroutes work
after been connected to the provider for more than say 10-15 seconds.

I'm wondering if adding the VPN support (in the Add/Remove Windows bits) is
overwriting some file somewhere in windows for the TCP/IP stack or
something.... but I just dont know, most systems work fine after adding the
VPN stuff, but only these 2-3 Acer laptops seem to bugger up.

Any thoughts ?? Anything I should be looking at ??

Thanks,
Tim.