[pptp-server] Wierd Win 98 problem

Josh Howlett Josh.Howlett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 12:48:09 CST 2002

hi all,

I have a windows 98 laptop that was using MPPE-128 with no problems
until a few hours back.  Suddenly it started giving 720 error
(encryption not supported) errors for no obvious reason.  I was also
getting this is the logs:

pppd[383]: MPPE 40 bit, stateless transmit compression enabled

The connection would die with the 720 error.

I scratched my head trying to figure out what I had changed (if
anything) to the server config.  Finally, I added "mppe-40" to the
config out of desperation to see what happened.  It worked!  At least, I
got a connection with MPPE-40 (without the 720 error):

pppd[430]: MPPE 40 bit, stateless compression enabled

Does anyone have *any* idea why this would have happened?  I don't
recall changing the config on the laptop or the server...

Obviously, I'd like my MPPE-128 back, so if anyone has any bright ideas
about that I'd like to hear them :-)

cheers, josh.

Josh Howlett, Network Support Officer,
Networking & Digital Communications,