[pptp-server] Installation problems

poptop at kaiserdigital.com poptop at kaiserdigital.com
Wed Jan 23 19:03:19 CST 2002

Hi

I've been unable to get poptop working. I keep keeping the following
error.

Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument
GRE: read( ... ) error input:output error
PTY read or GRE write failed ...

I installed this on a Redhat 7.1 system with the Kernel Development and
Development modules installed

I compiled the kernel with the following three options

Monolithic Kernel
Unix PTY98 (this is on by default)
PPP

I followed the following process (Outlook likes to mess with the case so
please excuse ignore those errors)

1) rpm -I ppp-2.4.0-2.i386.rpm
2) rpm -I pptpd-init-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
3) Modify /etc/pptpd.conf

Speed 115200
Debug
Localip 192.168.0.234-238,192.168.0.245
remoteip 192.168.1.234-238,192.168.1.245

4) Modify /etc/ppp/options

Lock
Debug
Auth
+chap
Proxyarp

5) Modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

User	*	password	*

6) Start daemon /etc/rc.d/init/pptpd start

I then tried to connect from an XP client using the following
configuration

Include windows logon domain = false
Require data Encryption = false
Type of VPN  = PPTP
Protocols = IP, QOS (this can't be disabled)
PPP Settings = Disable LCP extensions, Disable Software Compression

What did I do wrong???

Thanks