[pptp-server] Linux client to PPTP server (kernel > 2.4.10) success

Jari Ahonen jah at progress.com
Fri Jan 25 11:18:07 CST 2002

Hi,

I'm not on this list but thought to post my solution to the
problems with Linux clients getting error about GRE not being
available when server kernel is over version 2.4.10.

My client and server are both 2.4.16 with MPPE patches. I also
got the GRE: protocol not available error.

But if I load the ip_gre module on the client before connecting,
everything goes fine. So before starting pptp client, do
modprobe ip_gre

This worked for me, YMMV.

- Jari