[pptp-server] NAT problem / several clients behind one

Mikael Lönnroth mikael.lonnroth at advancevpn.com
Tue Jan 29 10:52:32 CST 2002

I believe this question has been answered a couple of times (notably I think Charlie Brady explained exactly which RFCs are involved), here is my simple version:

Poptopop distinguishes clients only from their source IP address. Thus, when several clients connect from the same natted address, things stop working. With Windows it works although Microsoft's implementation does not conform with the RFCs.

If you use Linux as your NAT box, you might have some luck (I've seen connection tracking patches/helpers for 2.2.* and 2.4.* kernels).

MY REAL QUESTION: Is there any reason why we cannot add this same non-RFC functionality to Poptop?

Regards,
Mikael Lönnroth
www.advancevpn.com