[pptp-server] user authentification

R. de Vroede r.devroede at linvision.com
Fri Jul 5 06:32:52 CDT 2002

It should be possible, but it would imply patching ppp authentication,
much like the patch for smb-auth (which is also non-plaintext). So you
would have to rip the authentication mechanism out of a NIS-library and
patch it into ppp, or something like that. Maybe there is an unofficial
patch out the. Google is your friend.

Regards,
Richard

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:07:57PM +0200, Sebastien Georget wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I've installed poptop which is running but I'd like to use a NIS
> > database to authentificate the users.
> > Does anybody has a such installation or a good starting point ?
> > I've seen that pppd can use PAM but it seems to work only with PAP (I
> > use CHAP-MSv2), I'm also interested in a good faq on that point.
>
> You can't use CHAP (or MS-CHAP) without access to plaintext passwords.
> NIS does not provide that, so it's impossible.
>
> /fc

Richard de Vroede
(r.devroede at linvision.com)
Linvision BV         Provides Linux Solutions
Elektronicaweg 16D
2628 XG Delft
T: +31157502310      info at linvision.com
F: +31157502319      http://devel.linvision.com