[pptp-server] HELP pptpd shat itself.

Matthew Gavin matt at tempo.com.au
Wed Jul 10 00:13:49 CDT 2002

Without going into too much detail, we yesterday had one of our Techs run:

# rpm -Uvh pptpd-1.1.3-1.rpm

This was apparently downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/poptop/

The above command did not affect pptpd until we restarted the server this morning for an
unrelated issue. We had a perfectly working PoPToP version 1.0.0 before this.

Now when I try to connect to the VPN, all I am seeing in /var/log/messages is:

pptpd[7136]: CTRL: Client 63.xx.xx.xx control connection started
pptpd[7136]: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd, opening GRE)
pptpd[7136]: GRE: read(fd=5,buffer=804d9c0,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error =
Input/output error
pptpd[7136]: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(5,6)
pptpd[7136]: CTRL: Client 63.xx.xx.xx control connection finished

Specs on the Server:

OS: Red Hat 7.1
Kernel: 2.4.2-3 #1 SMP
PPP: ppp-2.4.0-3mpp

Does anyone have a quick answer, I have not been following pptpd for months and have no
idea where to start... I have users screaming at me!

Tia,
M@