[pptp-server] Kernel panic with 2.4.17-2.4.19pre2 + Win98 client

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Thu Mar 14 15:02:44 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Nate Carlson wrote:

> We've got PPTPD (tried both 1.0.1 and 1.1.2) running on a gateway box we
> put out at a client site, and whenever a client connects to it with
> Windows 98 or Windows 98se and transfers a big file, the Linux box goes
> into a kernel panic with the process 'pptpctrl', and locks hard.
> If we turn off encryption, everything works fine, and if we connect from a
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP system, everything works fine (with encryption
> turned on). We've swapped the machine running pptpd out; exact same
> symptoms. Nothing weird running on the box, except for typical iptables
> modules and such.
>
> I've attached the ksymoops output of the kernel panic; anyone have any
> ideas on what could possibly cause this?

I think that you'd have more chance of getting useful help on a list
populated by folk used to doing kernel debugging. Obviously the encryption
module is the chief suspect, but it could be a bug elsewhere in the
kernel.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739