RES: [pptp-server] Is PoPToP dead?

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Mar 18 21:41:51 CST 2002

On 19 Mar 2002, Chris Tooley wrote:

> Great to hear.  The point being that there doesn't have to be duplicate
> work going on or even distant projects working on similar things.  I was
> ecstatic to see the RPMs at mirror.binarix.com/ppp-mppe for pptpd-1.1.2
> and all the other things, (I'm still trying to get a kernel RPM for the
> XFS kernel).

I don't see why you need a whole kernel RPM, in relation to PPTP issues.

All you need kernel wise is an mppe module, and a ppp/ppp_generic module
which allows 64byte parameter blocks (which requires a recompile).

You could remove the ppp/ppp_generic module from the mix if either the
standard kernel allowed 64byte parameter blocks, or the mppe module
interface passed a pointer to NT hash rather than the NT hash to the
kernel. The module could then do a copy from user to kernel space to get
hold of the hash, which is used as to initialise the encryption key. So
all you'd need is an mppe module.

Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739