[pptp-server] poptop, mppe, and ppp cvs

Alex King alex at morrison.king.net.nz
Wed May 15 17:13:53 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:24:20AM -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 01:49:19PM +1200, Alex King wrote:
> > > I've got it working with a win2k client.  I am currently aware of win98
> > > problems which I am working on, related to mschap (v1).
> > >
> > > The ProtRej is worrisome.  This is a long shot, but try setting 'novj'
> > > and 'nodeflate' in your ppp options.  You might also try 'asyncmap a0000'.
> > > It does appear that win95 doesn't like your IPCP offering, but normally
> > > it should send you an IPCP ConfNak.  But it might be broken.
> > >

> > For the record:  setting novj and nodeflate options did not help this
> > problem.  Nor did 'asyncmap a0000'.  With noccp, no ProtRej packet comes
> > through, but the TermReq still comes through, despite an apparantly
> > successfull MSCHAPv2 login (from the server's perspective), and even if
> > the client is not set up to "Require encrypted passowrd" or to "Require
> > data encryption"
> >
> > The only thing that does fix it is to disable the "require-mschap-v2"
> > option on the server.  With just "require-mschap" on the server, the
> > Win95 client can successfully connect (and use MPPE)
>
> Not with 'noccp'.  MPPE is negotiated within CCP.  I have a lot of data
Yeah, that's right, mppe doesn't work with noccp.  I took out all the
asyncmap, novj, nodeflate and noccp options when I got it working
without MSCHAPv2.

> on this problem and think I have it down to 2 possible problems which
> I won't be able to look at until this weekend.  Are you able to provide
> more debug data if needed?

Yep, no problem, just fire me an email and I can test stuff on my setup
here.  I did wonder about setting up an MS server and doing packet
capture of the interaction and comparing it with the linux setup.
However I'm not sure what MS products would have a server.  Also, the
easy way out is just to use MSCHAPv1....  Still it would be nice to have
v2 working.

Alex