[pptp-server] Logging question

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Thu May 23 17:51:36 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:55:40AM -0400, Rob Dege wrote:

> I just got PPTP up & running.  Works fine.  However, I wish to compose a log
> of who connects, when they signon & when they log off.
>
> I have just about everything except for WHO makes the connection.  Syslog
> doesn't even show it.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

PPTP doesn't do that (the protocol doesn't deal with users).
Set your ppp options appropriately.  By default I am pretty sure it does
log connect/disconnect (with username if available) to syslog.

"worst case" you can always add something to /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}
to record info in whatever format you want wherever you like.