[pptp-server] PPTP solution for VMware??

Scott Munns ScottMunns at Freightliner.com
Wed Aug 4 10:57:19 CDT 1999

Hello everyone,

I have a dilemma in using VMware for Linux.  I am running Windows NT on the
"virtual machine" (VM), and the Linux box is connected to our corporate LAN
by a token ring adapter.  Unfortunately, that means that I can't use
Ethernet bridging to give access between the NT VM and the LAN.

To (partially) solve the problem, I set up IP masq on the Linux box.  The VM
is the only machine on the masq'ed private network.  So, here's the diagram:

VM (192.168.0.2) virtual AMD PCI Ethernet adapter ->
Linux (192.168.0.1) vmnet1 "VMware virtual hub" ->
Linux (123.45.67.89) tr0 token ring adapter ->
Corporate LAN (123.45.67.xx)

However, IP masq won't allow me to do NT domain authentication or login to
our corporate authenticated Samba servers.  I've gotta get it working!!
Some newsgroups mentioned that PPTP might solve this issue.

Is there a way to install PoPToP on the linux box so I can tunnel the NT VM
onto our corporate network?  Will this solve the above issue?  Is there a
better way?  I can get a legal LAN IP address for the NT VM no problem.

Thanks for your help/advice!

Scott
---

Scott Munns
Research Engineer, Vehicle Systems Technology Center
DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology North America Inc.
At Freightliner Corporation, a DaimlerChrysler Company

scottmunns at freightliner.com <mailto:scottmunns at freightliner.com>