[pptp-server] Numerous Questions (IPX and pptpd.conf)

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Thu Aug 19 17:38:54 CDT 1999

quick answers:
can 98 route networks? sort of.. 98SE can, but i think it just masq's it.

can ipx be routed? not really. Unless i missed the release of the ipx
routing tools, ipx is still client-only in the later versions of linux
(2.2.x kernels) there was an ipxroute util for 2.0.x i believe.

poptop uses code that returns a free tty, usually ttyS?? on linux
machines. Perhaps a better way to do custom configs based on who's calling
would be to use the /etc/ppp/ip-up script (gets called whenever a ppp
connection starts) and use one of the many bits of info it gives you
(local ip, remote ip, ppp device, etc) to set routing info or other
conifigurations. See the ppp-howto for more on this.

The speed paramater is used by pppd, and is ignored for the most part(i
thinkn it might be used with some flow-control settings). I know for sure
that windows98 asks pptpd for a 64000 baud connection, but then goes and
reports 10 000 000bps, so we can be pretty sure it's ignoring it as well.

perhaps a better test for ipx would be to connect using IPX as the only
supported protocol, then try to browse to the remote side of the link
using windows machines

Kevin