[pptp-server] Secured Linux host, serving local subnet issue

Paul Hargreaves email at paul-hargreaves.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 04:07:19 CST 1999

>> Realised that although I was getting a tunnel, I wasn't using it because
my
>> 98 client can see 10.0.0.1 without vpn, so doesn't use the tunnel.
>Try configuring the vpn connection to set the default route. Then any
>traffic should be tunneled. Why you want to tunnel on your local lan is
>beyond me though..  =)

There doesn't seem to be any setting in pptpd.conf to do this. I've tried
having the dhcp server pass out the route information and that goes into the
ethernet setup, not the ppp setup.

I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this :)   Once I've got it
figured out and working, I can give configuration information to others so
they can tunnel through to my machine. I'll then be able to dismantle my use
of it, but I'll be able to know that it works, rather than trying to get it
working remotely and all the trouble that gives.

Another problem I've noticed, when using samba I can't resolve any netbios
address anymore, even if I do it using "nmblookup" under Linux. If I have
192.168.0.1 as my localip (as set in pptpd.conf though the real host is
actually 192.168.1.1) , and have Linux only offer information to 192.168.0,
nmblookup fails because it cannot broadcast to 192.168.0.255.
If I change samba to offer on 192.168.1 then I'm not using the tunnel again,
so it defeats the object.

Paul