[pptp-server] pppd will not connect - solved (for the moment)

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Dec 15 11:39:41 CST 1999

Thanks for all the advice.  It turned out to be a "minor" config problem
that cost me a few days of head scratching:

the old connect line:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect \
        '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \
        -detach crtscts modem defaultroute persist \
        lock \
        user xyz \
        /dev/ttyD3 115200

the new connect line:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd connect \
        '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \
        -detach -chap +pap noauth crtscts modem defaultroute persist \
        lock \
        user xyz \
        /dev/ttyD3 115200

For some reason, on my system, pppd has to be given the options -chap
+pap noauth on the command line to work.  Putting the same options in
the options file did not do the trick, so I also deleted the
/etc/ppp/options file to make sure that that was not causing any
problems and put all options on the command line.

This was for all versions of pppd newer than 2.3.7, which is what
shipped with the system.  2.3.7 authenticates with PAP with no problems.

--Yan

--

Think different
	ride a recumbent