[pptp-server] PPTPD works great on LAN ! Half-Life/Q2 almost works over dial-up...

Patric Sandberg patric.sandberg at swipnet.se
Mon Dec 20 15:51:24 CST 1999

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to clarify that PPTP v1.0.0 works great on a LAN out of the box;
I installed the pptpd-1.0.0 and ppp-2.3.10 RPMs and just configured the necessary config/option files, no recompiling or generally nerd-like actions, and voilá! it works right out of the box.

I have managed to try the tunnel from two Win98SE machines, one on the same LAN and one over the Internet. I have run Roger Wilco which is a Voice-over-IP application successfully over my configuration.

[Newbie helper: If anyone wants my config I'd be happy to send them over]

The thing is; when running over the Internet with a Win98SE VPN client using a 33.6 outgoing stream from a 56k modem things get hairy when loading the tunnel;
running Quake2 drops the tunnel after a few minutes, Half-Life too.

I get an error message in the /var/log/messages about GRE dropping 'out of sequence' packets. Does anyone run PPTPD over slow dial-up links successfully?

Regards,
Patrick