[pptp-server] modprobe error message

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:38:33 CST 1999

> Gord Belsey wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting the following error (in /var/log/messages) whenever I
> > start up pptpd:
> >
> > Dec 20 14:16:37 cpwvpn1 modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108

If the messages bother you, you can silence them by putting either
this:

        alias char-major-108 ppp

...or this:

        alias char-major-108 off

..in your /etc/conf.modules file.  (The former is what we are using
and seems to work; the latter was some other suggestion which I never
tried.)

> > Can anyone tell mhat module char-major-108 is, or better yet where
> > I can get info on various modules (ie: for setting up aliases in
> > /etc/conf.modules).

Try "grep -C 108 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt".

 - Pat