[pptp-server] modprobe error message

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Mon Dec 20 16:10:35 CST 1999

Gord Belsey wrote:

> I'm getting the following error (in /var/log/messages) whenever I start up
> pptpd:
>
> Dec 20 14:16:37 cpwvpn1 modprobe: can't locate module char-major-108
>
> Can anyone tell mhat module char-major-108 is, or better yet where I can get
> info on various modules (ie: for setting up aliases in /etc/conf.modules).

Here's a quote about it from a nice PPP setup document I found
(http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html):

"On the 2.3.9 and 2.3.10 versions of pppd, the message modprobe: can't
locate module char-major-108 is displayed in the log file. Ignore this.
These versions of pppd use some new features of the ppp kernel drivers
in the development kernels on linux if they are available. This message
says ppp cannot find these features. This is fine as these versions of
ppp also work perfectly well with the older (2.0.x and 2.2.x) kernels."

Nathan