Network Neighborhood browsing (was Re: [pptp-server] Connected, but not browsing.)

Matthew Ramsay matthewr at moreton.com.au
Tue Dec 21 04:04:35 CST 1999

Gday All,

I'm keen to resolve the issue of Network Neighborhood browsing with a poptop server once and for all.
I've seen this thread everynow and then.. but have ignored it as it never bothered me.. I now have some time to spare to hack something together to solve it...

Here is what I think needs being written to solve the problem.. (I may be completey wrong.. i'm looking for comments)

1. the network neighborhood works via NETBIOS over TCP/IP.. It broadcast these packets to the network.

Q. will these packets make it down the VPN tunnel to the poptop server? My initial thoughts are *no*. I will do some tests on this in a few days.

2. The linux poptop server won't send these broadcast packets over the ppp link.. so we will have to send them manually.

Ahh.. I don't know enough about it yet. I'm looking for lots of input. If I get a good idea of what needs to be done I'll sit down and hack it together.

Or is there an easier solution.

Cheers,
Matt.