[pptp-server] I just don't understand why this is so damn hard!!!!

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Dec 22 23:16:22 CST 1999

The problem is the damn U.S. export control laws, which make it a
felony for anyone here to release any kind of cryptographic code.

What we need is someone who lives in the free world and who has decent
bandwidth to distribute a complete version of ppp-2.3.10 (not just
patches) which includes everything and does not require installation
of any other packages.

You would still need to rebuild your kernel; there isn't any way
around that because the MPPE code itself lives there.  But the process
would be a lot easier.

Incidentally, has anyone asked Paul Mackerras (or whoever maintains
the cs.anu.edu.au pppd distibution site) if he would be willing to
merge MPPE support into the stock PPP distribution?  That would be
ideal.  It would make pppd non-exportable from the U.S., but so
what...

Anyway, Adrian is right: After you apply the patches in order (or my
jumbo unified patch) and copy over the RC4 files from OpenSSL, you
need to symlink /usr/include/openssl or /usr/local/include/openssl to
point to the OpenSSL header files.  That's because the RC4 code does
"#include <openssl/opensslconf.h>"; I haven't tried to figure out why.
(I didn't even notice at first because I already have the OpenSSL
headers in /usr/local/include/openssl.)  It would be nice if someone
found a minimal set of patches to hack up the OpenSSL RC4
implementation to make it standalone again.

 - Pat