[pptp-server] I just don't understand why this is so damn hard!!!!

Nathan Meyers nmeyers at javalinux.net
Wed Dec 22 23:39:09 CST 1999

"Patrick J. LoPresti" wrote:

> The problem is the damn U.S. export control laws, which make it a
> felony for anyone here to release any kind of cryptographic code.
>
> What we need is someone who lives in the free world and who has decent
> bandwidth to distribute a complete version of ppp-2.3.10 (not just
> patches) which includes everything and does not require installation
> of any other packages.
>
> You would still need to rebuild your kernel; there isn't any way
> around that because the MPPE code itself lives there.  But the process
> would be a lot easier.

The kernel part can also be made easier. It's not necessarily a full
kernel rebuild; for the majority of users who use dynamically loadable
kernel modules, it's a rebuild of a modified ppp.o and a new ppp_mppe.o.
It shouldn't be too terribly hard to build and install those modules as
part of the pppd build instead of shoving them into the kernel source
tree. Some other modular drivers are built that way and, while this one
is a little bit tricky (since there is a dependence on modifying some
existing kernel source), it should be possible.

Nathan