[pptp-server] Remote IP and Local IP

Neil Helsley nhelsley at mcservices.net
Tue Jul 6 11:17:07 CDT 1999

I'm trying to see if I have my setup installed correctly.  I assume Local IP
is the IP that you give the PPTP client.  What is Remote IP used for?

My Server is behind a router, we have everything forwarded correctly
(according to my sniffing logs), but what is happening is that the GRE
request is coming from the internal IP but getting the replies from the
client on the external IP, so my internal server isn't seeing it's requests
getting answered.  I tried forwarding all GRE requests to the internal IP
(ipfwd #internalip 47 &), I now get replies logged in my pptpd.log, but it
is telling me they are out of sequence so they get disregarded.  Any
suggestions?

Specs:
PPP 2.3.8
RedHat 6.0