[pptp-server] Re: [pptp-server] Remote IP and Local IP

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 00:19:46 CDT 1999

> I'm trying to see if I have my setup installed correctly.  I assume Local IP
> is the IP that you give the PPTP client.  What is Remote IP used for?

A PPP session is established between the client and server.  Local IP is
the address you use for yourself in this session (the server end) and remote
IP is the address you give the other end (the client).  Local IP should usually
be some unused IP address and may be the same for all clients, using eth0
is sometimes possible but not advisable since it complicates routing tables
(and makes using the Linux client pretty much impossible).

> My Server is behind a router, we have everything forwarded correctly
> (according to my sniffing logs), but what is happening is that the GRE
> request is coming from the internal IP but getting the replies from the
> client on the external IP, so my internal server isn't seeing it's requests
> getting answered.  I tried forwarding all GRE requests to the internal IP
> (ipfwd #internalip 47 &), I now get replies logged in my pptpd.log, but it
> is telling me they are out of sequence so they get disregarded.  Any
> suggestions?

Out of sequence could mean that you're causing duplicates or that they're
really out of sequence due to some network complication.

I will make a change so that sequential duplicate packets are logged
differently from other out of order packets as this may be an important
difference in debugging these problems.

David.