[pptp-server] Re: [pptp-server] Routing down VPN link

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 9 01:49:09 CDT 1999

> When we ping the VPN server, the packets travel over the dial-up connection
> as expected.  When we ping the other end of the VPN link, the packets travel
> over the VPN link.  When we do a traceroute from the client the packets do
> not report a first hop.

This could be your firewalling on the FreeBSD system.  Have you checked that?
Have you tried replacing the firewalling temporarily with a rule to permit
everything?

One thing to remember is that traceroute uses UDP packets.

(the best way to safely change FreeBSD ipfw rules is in a script run once
from cron - then you're 100% sure the script won't be killed when it tries
to print output just after it does an ipfw flush [at which point writing
any network packet will cause a problem])

David.