[pptp-server] Routing down VPN link

Michael Horne m.horne at comnet.co.nz
Fri Jul 9 01:37:20 CDT 1999

We have set up the PPTP server on FreeBSD.  We have gotten the
authentication to work.  For some reason the routing on the client machine
is not quite right.

Connecting with the Client to a Microsoft PPTP server works fine, so we
believe it is something that we are not doing correctly with respects to the
configuration on the FreeBSD system.

When we ping the VPN server, the packets travel over the dial-up connection
as expected.  When we ping the other end of the VPN link, the packets travel
over the VPN link.  When we do a traceroute from the client the packets do
not report a first hop.

We have tried doing a traceroute from the other side.  From a remote
location on our network we attempt a traceroute to the VPN client.  The
traffic goes to the VPN server, but no further hops are reported back.

Has anyone else faced this problem?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

 \_, Michael Horne                     ComNet Technologies Limited
 </  Phone: +64-25-479818              PO Box 31310
 /)  Fax :  +64-4-5690067              Lower Hutt
(/   m.horne at comnet.co.nz              New Zealand
'