[pptp-server] Will this configuration work ?

L.Lanik at kommunalkredit.at L.Lanik at kommunalkredit.at
Thu Jul 15 02:05:53 CDT 1999

Hi everybody !

I am new to this list and I hope my questions are not too silly ....

I have to install home working for some people of a big company.
This company is permanently connected to the internet. Most people of this
company have got a permanent internet connection via TV cable at home (yes we
have got this in Vienna/Austria !).
The company is running various Microsoft products (Authentification via NT
Domain, Pathworks and NT file services, Exchange Server, etc.) and some Unix
hosts (and still some Vax's).
The home workers have to access all this from home, as they were sitting in the
office.
The company is running some private network addresses inside their LAN (resp.
WAN).
The people are running Win95, Win98 or WinNT at home.

So, my suggestion is the following:

Install a linux server connected to the Internet with an official IP-address and
to the LAN with a private one.
Install PPTP on linux.
Insert an entry in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets for every user.

Install Microsoft VPN on the home pc's with the linux box's ip address as vpn
server.
-------------------------------------
That was my theory.
-------------------------------------
Now to you (-> the experts):

Will this configuration work ?
Wil there be any difference for the people between office and home ?
Can they connect drives to NT server etc. ?
Do I have to install any extra software on client side - What about "Dial Up
Networking Update 1.3" (On which OS I have to install this patch: Win98,
Win95/OSR2, Win95/OSR1 ?)
If there is a firewall between, is it enough to only open port 1723 ?
If the TV cable company does block port 1723, is it possible to use another port
? How to configure on linux resp. WinXX ?

P.S.: I tried this configuration. I could ping every PC over the tunnel, but I
was not able to browse any NT server ?

Best regards

Laurenz Lanik
IntelliNet EDV-Dienstleistungsges.m.b.H.
Telefon:  +43/1/5952388/21
Mobil:         +43/664/432 5571
Fax:      +43/1/5952390
E-Mail:        L.Lanik at IntelliNet.at