[pptp-server] Will this configuration work ?

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Thu Jul 15 02:51:32 CDT 1999

Yes, that config is the right way to do it.

linux doens't care what port you use, so if they block 1723 it would still
work with a minor change to on eof teh source code files, but windows
unfortunately must use port 1723.. sorry

As for your browsing problems:
1. check to make sure that IP forwarding is enabled in the kernel. To do
this, "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" That will enable IP
forawrding. You might also want to use the proxyarp option in pppd.

2. you will probably want to install all the latest patches and whatnot on
the clinet and server machines. this means the dun1.3 patch for win95 and
i think there's one for win98 too. Service pack 5 for nt machines, and
install the pppd 2.8 patch for encryption in linux (get it on the pptpd
download page)

3. EXTERNALLY ONLY it's ok to block everything but 1723 (but internally
you need to be more open)

4. If you have a wins server at work on the private network, send that to
the clinets (there's a pppd option for that) and that should fix most
browsing problems, along with enabling ip_forwarding as described above.

5. if you can ping the other computers, try accessing them directly via
Start->run->\\computername instead of browsing via network neighborhood.

the browsing problem is most likely due to an incorrect subnet mask being
passed by pppd. This screws up the broadcast packets which are used to
browse the network. A wins server is a good solution, and i bet setting up
a proper samba (smbd and nmbd) server on the host linux box would work
too.

We're trying to figure out a way to fix the netmask problem. It seems like
all of our big problems are pppd related :)

Kevin