[pptp-server] newbies questions

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 15 06:03:25 CDT 1999

>   Hi
>
> 1.  The html install says to make sure that: pptpmanager, pptpd and
> pptpctrl and pptpgre exist /usr/local/bin, what I have there is only
> pptpctrl and pptpd. pptpmanager and pptpgre weren't linked (I can see
> the object file in the source directory.

pptpmanager and pptpgre don't exist as separate binaries anymore.

> 2. It also says to make sure that my kernel has pty support. I'm
> installing it on an OpenBSD box so I don't know if it's supported.

It's very rare that it isn't, it's just something to check if it doesn't
work.

> 3. I personally think that the binaries should go to $prefix/sbin, only
> root should be able to have them in them in the path (though anyone can
> alter their path or just write the full path).

They possibly should be there, but they aren't.  I might change this soon
since I agree completely that these belong in sbin in the modern
interpretation of sbin (I much preferred /sbin = statically linked binaries
for use when /usr isn't available or in emergencies, /bin symlink to
/usr/bin containing everything... so much simpler).

David.