[pptp-server] Relay for PPTP server?

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Wed Jul 21 13:23:03 CDT 1999

> This may sound far-fetched, but what is we rebuilt the pppd so that it included
> support for Socks/Dante (RFC 192[89]), thereby automatically able to connect
> through an industry-standard proxy protocol ?  With the tools that socks
> includes, I had the impression this is almost as trivial as a set of #define
> macros, and a rebuild, something like:
> make CFLAGS ='-Dconnect=rconnect -Dlisten=rlisten'

i don't think a socks proxy would work for what we want. At first i
thought it was a great idea, but here's the trouble:

there are 3 types of connection problems (well, more, but 3 basic types)

1) Firewall/Proxy: pptp is tricky to let through
2) ISP doesn't allow GRE packets
3) Client is unable to use GRE (slirp accounts)

1) socks would work IF client supported it. None do. If the server
supported it, we'd have to make outgoing calls to the client (most don't
support this)

This problem compounds itself because when behind a proxy. Proxy servers
tell the pptp server that they are the client, and forward the packets.
Poptop would need some way to find out the true ip of the client in order
to make the GRE connection.

2,3) proxy wouldn't help. GRE packets are GRE packets whether they come
from the server or from the proxy server