[pptp-server] poptop and NT 5 (windows 2000)

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Wed Jul 21 20:41:47 CDT 1999

After testing out the latest version of poptop, and installing the mppe
patch, I'm happy to report that both work. If you are using an older version
of poptop, a few config problems prevent it from working with NT 5, but as
of v0.9.5 poptop and NT5 work just fine together.

Kevin

For those of you new to the list, here's a repost of the steps you need to
take to get encryption working [edited a bit in light of my experience]:

Installing MSCHAP/MPPE PPPD Patch

Grab yourself a clean copy of the PPP deamon version 2.3.8 (ppp-2.3.8).
Iusually go here for my PPP files: ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/

Grab youself the MSCHAP/MPPE diff files and the RC4 files
[instructions for obtaining RC4 files will be in the file README.MPPE after
you apply the diff to pppd ] -tmk
[note: if you get them from the SSL site, they are actually IN the ssl
archive file.. not floating around on the ftp] -tmk

Follow these instructions:
Note: [] are example commands to run

* extract the archive to your local file system [tar xvzf ppp-2.3.8.tgz].
* copy the MSCHAP/MPPE diff file to ppp-2.3.8/
* extract the diff file [gunzip ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff.gz]
* patch the diff [patch -p1 < ppp-2.3.8-mppe-others-norc4_TH7.diff]
* copy the RC4 files (rc4.h and rc4_enc.c) to ppp-2.3.8/linux/
* [cd ppp-2.3.8]
* [./configure]
* [cd linux]
* [./kinstall.sh]
or "make kernel"
* [cd ..]
* [make]
* make a backup of your pppd if your so inclined
* copy the new pppd over the old one [cat pppd/pppd > `which pppd`]
  or do "make install"
* [cd /usr/src/linux]
* [make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net]
* [make modules_install]
You may have to copy the rc4 files to /usr/src/linux/drivers/net and\or
/usr/src/linux/include/linux
* [rmmod ppp]
* [insmod ppp]
above 2 lines if you installed ppp as a module
* [insmod ppp_mppe]

Here is an example PPP options file (/etc/ppp/options):

lock
debug
auth
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless

Here is an example chap-secrets file (/etc/ppp/chap-secrets)

username * password *

this allows username to log in to any host(server) with password and any ip
address
-tmk

Setup your Windows client to support data encryption. Run PoPToP and
connect!