[pptp-server] Performance degradation from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5

Philip Van Baren phil at vibrationresearch.com
Fri Jul 23 22:00:22 CDT 1999

I had pptpd version 0.9.4 installed and working well.  Then I installed
version 0.9.6, and the performance seemed to drop significantly.  I did some
benchmarks using netperf (http://netperf.org/netperf/NetperfPage.html) and
found that the transfer rates from the Win98 machine to the Linux machine
for versions 0.9.5, 0.9.6, and 0.9.7 are nearly half what I get with 0.9.4.

My configuration is:

pptpd server: Pentium/150 running RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, connected to
the ISP via pppd over a 64kbps ISDN line.  This machine is running IP-Masq
for the local network.  I tried both pppd 2.3.5 and 2.3.8, and with and
without MPPE, with the same results.  My configuration files are standard (I
added the mppe-* stuff to pppd options when I tried with MPPE enabled, but
the behavior is the same with and without that).

VPN dial-up machine: Pentium-III/500 running Windows 98 connected to the ISP
via Dial-up Networking through an ADSL modem.  VPN support running on a
second dial-up connection running overtop the first dialup connection.

(I also tried this on a Win98 Pentium/233 connected to the ISP via an
ethernet card and cable modem, with similar results)

Anyone run into similar problems, or have possible explainations for this
change?

Phil VanBaren
phil at vibrationresearch.com

My results are (netperf running on the Win98 machine, netserver running on
the Linux machine)

netperf -H 192.168.1.1 -l 60 -t UDP_STREAM -f k -- -m 512
( UDP stream test with 512-byte messages for 60 seconds )
with version 0.9.4:
   transmitted 540 messages,
   received 538 messages,
   receive rate: 36130 bits/second

with version 0.9.5 (same with 0.9.6, 0.9.7)
   transmitted 270 messages,
   received 260 messages,
   receive rate: 17730 bits/second

netperf -H 192.168.1.1 -f k -- -m 512
( TCP stream test with 512-byte messages for 10 seconds )
with version 0.9.4:  32080 bits/second
with version 0.9.5:  19900 bits/second