[pptp-server] Problems logging into an NT domain

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Fri Jul 23 15:47:36 CDT 1999

alright.. let's see if we can get you up and running.

> addition to the pppd and pptpd.  Anyway, the vpn itself is a member of the
> domain and is able to nmblookup addresses and create shares.  I am using

I'll assume you mean the client is a member of the domain? or do you mean
the server..

> windows98(through a cable modem) as a test client and am able to connect to
> the vpn with no problems or errors.  However, all traffic from the client is
> still routed through the standard connection rather than the VPN connection.

ok, so the little VPN modem lights don't blink at all? Sounds like a win98
routing problem, but we'll come back to that.

> As such I cannot browse/ping/traceroute anything on the remote domain
> through the vpn.  The vpn has a direct internet connection.  I was just
> wondering if anyone could tell if my problem is with my client setup or the

> vpn server or give me an idea where I should be looking.  Here is the server
> information:  Thanks in advance...

> os           redhat 6.0
> kernel      2.2.5-15
> pptpd       0.9.5
> ppp          2.3.8

looks ok..

> etc/pptpd.conf
> speed 115200
> localip 192.0.0.96 192.0.0.122-127

shouldn't it be localip 192.0.0.96,192.0.0.122-127
> remoteip 206.68.8.7-206.68.8.12

Unfortunately, since it's a network connectivity issue (not a connecting
to the server issue) it takes different info to get a handle on the
problem.. try the following:

1) connect to the pptp server
2) post dumps of "route print" (type at dos prompt)
2a) post the info for the VPN adapter as listed in winipcfg (or ipconfing
in dos)
3) post all lines from /var/log/messages that pertain to that connection
(ok to omit paswords if they're there ;)
4) post teh route table from linux afte rthe connection is on
5) describe your network numbers (private subnet, "real" ip of server,
client's ip, etc)
6) answer questions from earlier in this message

please send it to me personally, as you probably don't want your network
info posted to the list..

Kevin