[pptp-server] PoPToP Question

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 02:30:32 CDT 1999

> Hi, I was wondering how I would setup PoPToP to assign a real ip to the
> remote host instead of a fake ip.  I want to do this to allow computers
> inside my firewall to access the internet without using masquerading.
> What else would i require to get it working?

Depends on your setup.  Consult your local network/routing expert :-)

I'm using gated to export routes for connected clients (I'd much prefer
to use zebra or routed but neither of them can currently do the interface
rescanning properly so I'm stuck with gated).

You may be able to use proxy arp if you are making the hosts appear on your
local ethernet.  Basically, it all depends on your setup, consult your local
network/routing expert.  It's not really much different to giving out
"fake" ips except that you may have to get the routes to propagate further.

David.