[pptp-server] pptpd still not handling dropped connections properly?

Bitt Faulk wfaulk at totalsports.net
Thu Jun 3 14:45:03 CDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Seth Vidal wrote:

> > debug
> > name 216.2.60.227
> >
> > auth
> > require-chap
>
> you'll definitely want proxyarp in there but other than that you're ok.
>
> what version of ppp are you using.

2.3.6

> what type of clients are the ones connecting? (win98,nt,linux)

Mostly win95 w/ MSDUN13.EXE installed, probably some win98, probably no
NT, definitely no linux.

100% idiots, though.

> > Why do I get the uneasy feeling that I am missing something really obvious
> > now?
>
> not neccessarily.
>
> occassionally extra PPTP CTRL processes do hang around but the pppd
> processes should die.

I've actually never seen the CTRLs hang around, but the pppds certainly
do.

Maybe I've made some sort of logical mistake.  Here's how I have it
configured:

/etc/pptpd.conf:

speed 115200
localip 172.17.0.1-100
remoteip 172.17.1.1-100

So a PTP is made between those two IPs and then (magically on the remote
side) a route is created to my routable network on that same server that
allows the VPN to happen.  It seems to work fine until the pppds decide
not to die, and then pptpd decides to reallocate those IPs and, apparently
the old pppds confilct with the routing.  If there's a better, more stable
way to set this up, let me know.  I just need to have definable IPs for my
remote users.

Thanks

-Bitt

PS: I'd like to point out that this is still infinitely more stable than
the NT server I tried to configure to do this, which either crashed when a
connection was made, or would immediately close the connection.