[pptp-server] Slightly off topic?

Brian Dupras bdupras at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 3 14:47:48 CDT 1999

Hello all, thanks for allowing me to lurk and learn more about pptp.  :)

I've a problem that's effecting both my pptp and my ppp connections.  I'm
inclined to thing it's a general ppp problem.

When I dial into my linux server (vanilla RH5.2) and connect via ppp, *or*
when I dial into an ISP and use pptp to connect to the server, I can't seem to
get the right netmask.

I want the netmask to be 255.255.255.0 - pretty standard.  However, no matter
where I put the netmask I want, I always get 255.0.0.0 from the server.

I've put "netmask 255.255.255.0" in /etc/ppp/options, and in options.tty*
I've even turned off auth for the time being to troubleshoot the prblem.
Ergh...

Any ideas why pppd would ignore my netmask setting and use 255.0.0.0?  I'm
about to pull out my hair.

Brian