[pptp-server] Slightly off topic?

tmk tmk at netmagic.net
Thu Jun 3 18:08:51 CDT 1999

after reading the manpage for pppd, here's what i found for netmask

netmask n
              Set the interface netmask to n, a 32 bit netmask in
              "decimal  dot"  notation  (e.g. 255.255.255.0).  If
              this option is given, the value specified  is  ORed
              with  the  default netmask.  The default netmask is
              chosen based on the negotiated remote  IP  address;
              it is the appropriate network mask for the class of
              the remote IP address, ORed with the  netmasks  for
              any  non  point-to-point  network interfaces in the
              system which are on the same  network.   (Note:  on
              some    platforms,    pppd    will    always    use
              255.255.255.255 for the netmask,  if  that  is  the
              only  appropriate value for a point-to-point inter-
              face.)

so the 10.x.x.x is definitely the source of your strange netmask, and i bet
you have an older version of pppd and mabye this is broken? latest is 2.3.8
and it works with kernel 2.0.36.