[pptp-server] Setting up a true VPN

Jim Morris Jim at Morris.net
Fri Jun 4 08:54:41 CDT 1999

Hi All,

I will have the need by month end to implement a true VPN between two
offices - one in Atlanta, and one in Orlando. I've got a lot of
options here, including going with Frame relay, and setting it up as a
true WAN.  But my first preference is to setup an actual VPN across
the Internet.  Most of what needs to go across this (hopefully
encrypted) tunnel is maybe email, and most importantly, TCP/IP client
connections to an AS/400 on the other end of the link, using IBM's
Client Access.  And using pptpd or something similar only seems to
make sense, since I will have both offices setup using diald and IP
masquerading to have Internet access via cheap 56K dialup.

I've gotten this to work from my home office, using the Win98
PPTPD/VPN adapter, connecting to the existing office in Atlanta.  I
use the dynip.com service to associate a known DNS name with the Linux
network server that dials in.

I guess my question is, is using pptpd on the Atlanta server, and the
pptp client for Linux the way to go with this?  Will I be able to
setup routes such that the machines on each LAN can see the machines
on the other LAN, with the PPTP connection between the two Linux
boxes?