[pptp-server] Is encryption of PPP with MPPE sufficient to encrypt PPTP?

Matthew Ramsay matthewr at moreton.com.au
Wed Jun 9 18:52:05 CDT 1999

Ronald,

> remaining tasks.  To guarantee interoperability with Microsoft clients
> and servers, you have to play by Microsoft's rules which means
> supporting MPPE (Microsoft Point to Point Encryption).  I've looked

correct.

> and the work by Árpád Magosányi (author of the Linux VPN mini howto)
> to add MPPE to PPP 2.3.0 as found at:
>   http://www.hal.vein.hu/~mag/works/RAS/

I've tried to get that working.. but failed. :-) Also have a look at
this link:
ftp://ftp.east.telecom.kz/pub/src/networking/ppp/multilink/ppp-2.3.5-mp.tgz

apparently this is a modified ppp-2.3.5 with MSCHAPv2 and MPPE support.

> Is it an over-simplification to say that patching pppd to include
> MPPE in this fashion would accomplish adding encryption to PPTP that
> is as good as Microsoft's and that will work with Microsoft clients
> and servers?

basically this is all that needs doing -- so YES! I think the PPP part
of the kernel will need slight RC4 modification too for the actual
packet encryption...? unsure.

I am actually hoping someone will email me tomorrow telling me they
tried the above ppp patches and successfully got poptop working with
microsoft encryption :-)

It is a high priority on my agenda at any rate.

Cheers,
Matt.