[pptp-server] some more notes/questions

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 10 00:21:20 CDT 1999

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Seth Vidal wrote:
> >
> > I need some way of writing the pppd data to wtmp/utmp.
>
> I remembered reading this post a while back and just now stumbled across
> the answer:
>
> From pppd(8):
>
>        login  Use the system password database for authenticating
>               the peer using PAP, and record the user in the sys-
>               tem wtmp file.  Note that the  peer  must  have  an
>               entry  in  the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file as well as
>               the system password database to be allowed  access.
>
> I see no other reference to wtmp, but maybe it'll work for CHAP anyway.
> (This jives with my lack of CHAP knowledge.  The password is probably
> transmitted in an incompatibly encrypted manner, huh?) If not, surely it
> would be an easy hack to copy over the wtmp-specific stuff, since it's
> already there.

Well, you can use PAP, it means the passwords go over the wire unencrypted,
but it works with all the clients that I've tried.  The wtmp entries made by
the login option are only done with PAP.  However if you want to use CHAP and
want wtmp entries, you could modify pppd to make it record the logins in wtmp;
it's a fairly trivial change in pppd/auth.c; grab some of the code out of
plogin (eg, around the call to logwtmp and the logged_in = 1) and put it in
to the CHAP code path.  Slightly harder if you're using PAM but not much more
so.

David.