[pptp-server] IPX & PPTP

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 11 09:36:22 CDT 1999

> I haven't tried it but I think I will.  PPTP only sets up a ppp connection on port
> TCP/1723 and all protocols are handled by pppd, is that how it works?

Not quite.  The TCP/1723 is the control connection which handles all kinds of
things.. in the greater scheme of things it's meant to handle things including
setting up ISDN calls between two boxes as the transport layer.  In the current
implementation, it handles setting up a GRE connection between the two IP
addresses which already have the TCP connection between them.  The data is
transferred over the internet using protocol 47.

Then, the pptpd converts between GRE packets and the frames the pppd expects
to see and relays between the two; all the protocol support, etc, is done by
the pppd.

So, it's almost as you expected, just that TCP isn't the transport, GRE is
(protocol 47).

David.